[squid-users] Problem with authentication to IIS site for users behind squid proxy

From: <tony.carter_at_dpi.nsw.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:42:30 +1000

Greetings,

An external IIS intranet site is accessed by some of our users. The site
requires authentication - possibly NTLM. The users wanting access to the
site are behind a squid proxy:
Squid Cache: Version 3.0.STABLE7
configure options: '--prefix=/usr/local/squid'

A previous version of squid (V2.6) which we were running popped up a
username/password dialog box prompting for a username and password when
this site was accessed. I'm told that the authentication does work
Squid Cache: Version 2.6.STABLE4-20061004
configure options: '--enable-async-io' '--enable-poll' '--enable-gnuregex'
'--sysconfdir=/global/proxy/etc' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O3'

The user now does not get the authentication dialog - instead the message:

You are not authorized to view this page
credentials that you supplied because your Web browser is sending a
WWW-Authenticate header field that the Web server is not configured to
accept.
HTTP Error 401.2 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to server
configuration.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

I have checked the config options in squid.conf and none seem to indicate
the difference between the two installations.
A search has revelaled several posts similar to this but none mentions a
solution.

any assistance much appreciated.
Tony

Tony Carter
System Administrator

NSW Department of Primary Industries
Suite 5 Level 1 City Square
76 Harbour Dr
Coffs Harbour NSW 2450

PO Box 530
Coffs Harbour NSW 2450

Tel: +61 2 6650 3120
Fax: +61 2 6651 2780

tony.carter_at_dpi.nsw.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of their organisation.