[squid-users] Can Squid hide all 404s from clients?

From: Benton Roberts <Benton.Roberts_at_starcut.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:51:28 +0300

Dear Squid-masters,

I would like to configure Squid so that it always serves the "latest
available" version of any given URL, even if the URL is no longer available
at the original server. In this way, Squid's clients would never receive an
error for a given URL, as long as that URL had been available to Squid at
some time in the past. So Squid should check for the latest version of any
URL through its normal cache behavior -- I just want it to treat HTTP
response codes other than 2xx (OK) as a special case, and "hide" them from
the requesting client, and serve from cache instead.

Is this possible? If so, would anyone care to point me to the relevant
configuration variables, and perhaps suggest values for them?

Thanks in advance,
- benton

--
Starcut privacy notification:
If you are not the destined recipient of this message, please, delete it and notify the message originator of the mistake