Re: [squid-users] squid and high availability

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:27:04 +0200

On tor, 2008-08-28 at 10:57 +0800, Jeff Peng wrote:
> > The kind of setup I would use for this is heartbeat managing a
> > ldirectord instance which distributes the load on the proxies.
>

> Hello Henrik,
>
> Can we make heartbeat between two squid hosts then?

Yes. Two hosts, both running heartbeat and Squid.

In heartbeat there is two services in one service group:

- A virtual IP where clients sends the requests. (the service address)

- A ldirectord instance for distributing the load among the nodes.

If you add more nodes then it's optional if these should run heartbeat
or not, or just Squid. It's sufficient with two nodes sharing the load
balancer function.

You do not need to make the Squids as such redundant or cluster
monitored, just more than one.. ldirectord takes care of monitoring the
proxies and only forwards requests to fully operational nodes.