Re: [squid-users] Large Files and Reverse proxy

From: Simon Waters <simonw_at_zynet.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:08:39 +0100

On Friday 29 August 2008 13:41:14 Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
> >>
> >> That will help. Enormously. The longer it can be explicitly known
> >> cacheable the better (RRC states only up to a year though).
> >
> > Can I ask why? Is the default "LRU" or "heap LFUDA" policy concerned with
> > expiry dates.
>
> With known expiry info, squid can calculate fresh/stale properly.
> Without it Squid has to estimate and periodically refreshes the object.
>
> The LRU/LFUDA algorithms are only related to garbage collection on
> objects in the cache.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I don't care if Squid does a refresh query for an 8MB object, indeed I'm happy
for it to check freshness every time such an object is fetched if needed to
comply with HTTP RFCs, I was just concerned that Squid is fetching the whole
8MB file many times a day.

It may be Squid is doing a sensible thing with the available resources!

But when I see the whole 8MB file shipped, at one point with a 15 seconds
interval between them to the proxy, I do wonder how it became the LRU of 17GB
of data in 15 seconds (our proxy isn't THAT busy), and whether I'm missing
something basic about the performance of the cache.