Re: [squid-users] host mapping not working for local http server

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:52:39 -0800

ryl0 wrote:
> squid works fine for everything external but not for our internal company
> website which is on an internal (private) webserver.
>
> squid will deliver the site if the clients use the ip address for the
> webserver in the browser (http://192.168.20.15) but not if they use the
> domain name (http://ourcompany.web).
>
> this was previously achieved with a windows proxy by adding an entry in the
> hosts file on the proxy server:
> 192.168.20.15 ourcompany.web
>
> i've made that same change in /etc/hosts and it works on the squid server
> itself but not on a client configured to use the squid server.

Expound on this part, please. In what way does it work on the Squid
server itself? Does ping ourcompany.web hit the right IP or does
"squidclient http://ourcompany.web" bring up the page in question? If
it's the former and not the latter, has Squid been restarted (or at
least reconfigured) since the host file change? The hosts file is read
on startup and upon reconfiguration
(http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.6/cfgman/hosts_file.html).

> i enabled debug_options ALL,1 33,2 for debugging acls and could see it
> forwarding the ip addr request but the domain name request didnt even
> appear.
>
> I appreciate any help!

Chris