[squid-users] Squid-2.7 vary failure w/ non-encoded objects?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:36:51 +0800

G'day,

I'm seeing something strange with the behaviour of Squid-2.7 and Vary objects.

The following happens w/ an accelerator setup:

* Request for X comes in w/ Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
* Request is forwarded, gzip encoded variant is stored in the cache
* Request for X comes in w/out Accept-Encoding: header
* Request is forwarded, non-gzip encoded variant is returned
* storeSetPublicKey() does a lookup on the object URL, finds there's
an existing key and invalidates it
* This invalidates the Vary index object and encoded variant object
* Non-compressed object is stored in the cache

* Subsequent requests w/ or w/out Accept-Encoding: set will always
return the non-compressed object

Now, I understand why Squid returns a non-compressed variant of the
object if its in the cache (and I may look further into that behaviour
later on) but the first few steps are what bother me.

My uttterly conjecture based guess: should the origin server be
returning non-compressed objects with the same Vary: headers?

How are others' dealing with this in accelerator based setups?

Adrian