Re: [squid-users] squid and high availability

From: Jakob Curdes <jc_at_info-systems.de>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 18:07:42 +0200

Jeff Peng wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
>
> We also use LVS + Squid setup.
> But what I want to know is, if we have only two squid for reverse proxy,
> can we setup only heartbeat for HA? (I mean don't use LVS).
> Thanks again.

If you just want to have a failover and the cache content is not that
important you can just leave the two squid's running and just migrate
the IP addresses using heartbeat.

To do that, you need an extra internal and an extra external address
that is not used by one of the systems. You then tell HA to use these
addresses. You two servers, connected by a serial cable and/or a
dedicated ethernet connection, decide on which server it runs the IPs.
If you restrict yourself to migrating IPs you should be able to
configure such a setup using the tutorials on linux-ha.org. But I advise
again to use a test setup for this as you _will_ make initial
configuration errors and you are playing with your internet access. It
does not make sense to post HA configs here as a) we go offtopic and b)
the HA config files (XML) are never edited directly, but managed by CLI
tools or a GUI.