Re: [squid-users] visible_hostname resolution problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:01:02 +1200 (NZST)

> Hello,
> We are testing Squid 2.6 stable 21 for the first time and we are getting
> the following error when we are trying to start the Squid service.
>
> 2008/09/03 11:02:20| parseConfigFile: line 3028 unrecognized: 'localhost'
> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname. Please set
> 'visible_hostname' (same error with serversname.company.com)
>
> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE21): Terminated abnormally.
>
> I added a value on the host file and on the DNS server trying to resolve
> the localhost value and the servername.company.com. Should I define the
> DNS server inside Squid?
>
> Thanks

Your host name configuration is severely broken.

check /etc/resolve.conf is configured properly (it should contain
'nameserver' and 'search' or 'domain' lines)
check /etc/hostname is configured properly

What you should do is give your machine a valid name ie 'guber'. Which can
be combined with your company name ie guber.example.com to create a
globally unique FQDN. That name is how you and other administrators are
expected to track the machine back to report and/or solve any problems.
The FQDN + its rDNS lookup is what Squid uses to identify itself, and its
own official public IP address.

Amos