Re: AW: [squid-users] Differences between Squid 2.7 and 3.0

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 09:52:02 -0600

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 12:14 +0200, Altrock, Jens wrote:

> So there is no significant change in features, only in programming
> language, is that right?

What feature changes are significant depends on your environment. For
example, Squid 3.0 has decent ICAP support while nobody I know supports
ICAP patches for Squid2. Squid 3.1 has more unique features on the map,
including SslBump, IPv6, and eCAP. Squid2, in turn has features missing
from Squid3 (most of which are being ported).

Also, features and language are not the only comparison points. The two
versions may differ in the amount and quality of support you are able to
receive or the effort it takes to implement something new. Upgrade path
and cost is also important for some. All this depends on your specific
needs and environment.

HTH,

Alex.