Re: [squid-users] Cache problem- should i remove the cache In doingso will it be recrated once gain ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:39:45 +1200 (NZST)

> This message has been scanned by IMSS NIT-Silchar
>

> Thank you Amos Jeffries for your mail.
>
> Please let me know should i straighway remove the "squid" and its
> subdirectories. In my proxy server its showing in the following path:
>
> /home/squid
>
> On doing so, after removing what all I would need do once again to make my
> proxy server work normally.
>
> Would be thankful to you if you provide me the step wise commands to be
> executed in order to do so.
>

> Secondly as of now the my proxy-server's disk usage is as shown below:
>

> [root_at_stud-pxy ~]# df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/PrimaryVol-root
> 19838052 6365612 12448440 34% /
> /dev/mapper/PrimaryVol-var
> 14855176 13079092 1009316 93% /var
> /dev/mapper/PrimaryVol-home
> 34756272 29030008 3932216 89% /home
> /dev/mapper/PrimaryVol-tmp
> 4062912 139488 3713712 4% /tmp
> /dev/sda1 101086 34842 61025 37% /boot
> tmpfs 253424 0 253424 0% /dev/shm
>

> Its really creating a trouble for me to create space in the /var
> partition.
>
> What could be the reasons for the /var partition to go so big.

You mean your cache itself is in /home but /var is filling up?
Sounds more like your log files are not being rotated regularly. Or your
traffic load is too big for the storage you have available.

A lot of programs use /var, so it may be many things adding together to
cause the problem.

run: du -sh /var/*
Which will show you what parts of /var/ are the biggest space users and
then recurse down to see what inside them is wasting space.

> Give some poniters, as i am a new bie.
>
> As of now, I keep deleting the files which are created on daily basis.

huh? what filenames?

Amos