Re: [squid-users] How to install

From: Michael Alger <squid_at_mm.quex.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:31:16 +0800

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:01:45PM +0200, Sebastian Jaurena wrote:
> Hi, I start to learn linux OS since a few month ago. I have a
> dedicated server, and I need install squid, but if I make "apt-get
> install squid" the version that Im installing is 2.5 and I need at
> least 2.6. I try doing "apt-get install squid.2.6" but nothing
> happend. Anyone can help about how upgrade my repository list?

What distribution are you using - Debian? Ubuntu? Something else?

Assuming you're using Debian, squid 2.5 was in sarge - the previous
stable release - which is pretty old now. It'd be a good idea to
look at upgrading to the current stable release, which does have 2.6
in it.

You can see the versions at this URL:

  http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=squid

Etch is the current stable release.

If you really just want to get a 2.6 squid running ASAP, you might
be able to use the one from Debian backports:

  http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions

  (just remember that you're running sarge, not etch, so modify the
  instructions accordingly)

However that version of squid is pretty old too, and you'd be much
happier running a more up to date version on a more up to date
Linux distribution.

If you're using Ubuntu, their release cycle is quite a bit faster than
Debian's so your system is way, way out of date.