Re: [squid-users] Huge log files

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:53:23 +1200

wrote:
> Hi
>
> My squid log files, access and store, are becoming bigger and bigger;
> more than 600 megabytes each. Does it affect squid's performance? Can
> I delete them and start over?

store log is not really needed unless debugging storage, or doing fancy
cache monitoring.
   You can configure that to 'store_log none'.

For access.log you should be doing regular rotation of logs (squid -k
rotate). It has side-effects in other areas such as cache journals,
which might be more of a performance hit.

Squid only appends to its logs, so the size does not really matter until
they fill the whole disk space and crash something. Mine are happy up at
2GB/day for access.log and 40GB/day for debug cache.log.

Amos