[squid-users] Is Squid the right tool for the job?

From: gms5002 <gms5002_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:27:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am a little out of my element
here. Our sysadmin recently left, leaving me in charge of this project.
Basically what we need to do is encrypt a message from our client's server
(we cannot touch their server though) and get it over the public internet to
our data center.

[A - client server] ---unencrypted message-->[B - our server at client
location] ----send via ssl over the public internet--->[C - our data center]

Now, I am a software engineer and pretty unfamiliar with networking. It was
suggested to me that I set up a Squid proxy on our server at the client
location to handle the encryption and redirection. I am trying to get this
to work unencrypted first, so I've set up 3 Ubuntu machines here in the
office to simulate the above scenario. I've been able to access a web page
hosted on server C from computer A. However, when I try to send a plain
text message through a socket I get a response back indicating that the HTTP
request is invalid (and the Squid logs show the same error). I am thinking
that Squid may not be the right tool for this job...is there any way for
squid to handle something like this? If not, does anyone have any
suggestions? In a nutshell I need something that can handle 'Take all
traffic from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, encrypt it, and send it to
yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:zzzz.' Thanks so much for your help!