RE: [squid-users] Squid on VMWare ESX

From: Dean Weimer <dweimer_at_orscheln.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:56:59 -0500

I have two installations on ESX 3.5 Update 2 currently in testing, one running on Solaris and the other on Ubuntu, both the 3.0 branch. They are running with no disk cache however, and pointing at parent proxies. I was concerned about how our iSCSI SAN would handle the cache as it is recommended not to run on raid. Though I am planning to test that as well, I just have to get a few other projects finished first. I have ran into no problems with either installation so far. They seem to handle the live migration moves between servers with only a slight slow down in operation during the move. The load when I go into production will be around 500 users as well, though I have only had about 25 users pointed at the test installations. I have considered doing a FreeBSD install as that's what I have been using for a long time on physical hardware, but being that it is not officially supported by VMWare, I have been hesitant to try it for fear that it might hurt the ESX servers performance.
I hope this helps you some, I still have a decent amount of testing to do before I would be willing to say it works and performs great, but so far it's been good.

Thanks,
     Dean Weimer
     Network Administrator
     Orscheln Management Co.