Re: [squid-users] How get negative cache along with origin server error?

From: Dave Dykstra <dwd_at_fnal.gov>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 13:56:13 -0500

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 08:38:12PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On tis, 2008-10-07 at 11:49 -0500, Dave Dykstra wrote:
>
> > Ah, I never would have guessed that I needed to try 10 times before
> > negative_ttl would take effect for a dead host. That wouldn't be
> > bad at all.
>
> You don't. Squid does that for you automatically.

I meant, in my testing I needed to try 10 times to see if negative_ttl
caching was working. Or are you saying that squid tries to contact the
origin server 10 times on the first request before it even returns the
first 504? I thought you meant it kept track of the number of client
attempts and should start caching it after 10 failures.

> > time I still saw the request get sent from the child squid to the parent
> > squid and return a 504 error. This is unexpected to me; is it to you,
> > Henrik? I would have thought the 504 error would get cached for three
> > minutes after the tenth try.
>
> Agreed.

Ok, then I will file a bugzilla report.

Meanwhile, I belive I have a workaround as I discussed in another post
on this thread
    http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200810/0171.html

Thanks,

- Dave