Re: [squid-users] RE [squid-users] Update Accelerator, Squid and Windows Update Caching

From: Tim Bates <tin_at_new-life.org.au>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:06:48 +1100

Ricardo Augusto de Souza wrote:
> Why the hell do u want to cache windowsupdate?
> Just install a WSUS (
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx ) in one windows
> machine in your LAN and it will download windowsupdate and send it to
> your local machines.

Perhaps because clients can't be controlled... EG: People accessing the
net via a public WiFi network, or boxes behind an ISP transparent proxy.
Not every use of Squid is in a corporate LAN. I'm interested in a
solution to caching Windows Updates because I work for a computer shop
and we do updates on customer's PCs every day. We can't go telling those
PCs to use a WSUS box because they leave the LAN 10 minutes later.

TB