[squid-users] Using Squid as a reverse-proxy to SSL origin?

From: Todd Lainhart <tlainhart_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:42:15 -0400

I've looked in the archives, site, and Squid book, but I can't find
the answer to what I'm looking to do. I suspect that it's not
supported.

My origin server accepts Basic auth over SSL (non-negotiable). I'd
like to stick a reverse proxy/surrogate in front of it for
caching/acceleration, and have it accept non-SSL connections w/ Basic
auth, directing those requests as https to the origin. The origin's
Both machines are in a closed IP environment. Both use the same
authentication mechanism.

I see that Squid 3.0 has an "ssl-bump" option, but I don't think that
does what I described. If it does, that's cool - I can change the
requirement of the proxy to accept Basic/SSL.

Is this configuration possible, and/or am I thinking about this wrong?

  -- Todd