Re: [squid-users] squid and accept-encoding gzip,deflate

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:04:08 +0200

On mån, 2008-10-20 at 11:21 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:

> Apache will do this as a reverse proxy, but Apache as a reverse proxy is
> interesting - most places I've seen it done it is sitting on the webserver on
> port 80 forwarding to less capable webservers on another port. Although
> Apache can do quite a lot as a reverse proxy the first person I saw who tried
> to set it up created an open proxy - so be careful.

Also mod_deflate still works very sub-otimal when it comes to HTTP &
caching. Currently cache validations is a bit broken, after it was fixed
to at least minimally comply with HTTP specifications.

There is an open task in the Apache project for supporting mod_deflate
and similar filters that conditionally modify the response entity and
thereby creating new variants of the requested resource. HTTP isn't
really designed for this and getting it right requires some care.. (ETag
needs to be remapped, in a way that If-* conditional requests still to
the right thing).