Re: [squid-users] headers say HIT, logs say MISS, payload is truncated...

From: Neil Harkins <nharkins_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:23:51 -0700

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Henrik Nordstrom
<henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> On fre, 2008-10-24 at 15:44 -0700, Neil Harkins wrote:
>> We are using collapsed_forwarding here. I haven't tried disabling it yet.
>>
>> Unfortunately, since the problem appears to be load-related, I've been
>> unable to reproduce for a tcpdump or running squid in debug thus far.
>
> The mismatch in HIT/MISS is most likely related to collapsed forwarding.
> Collapsed requests gets somewhere inbetween an hit or miss, and may well
> be reported a little inconsistent.
>
> Have no idea on the timeout issue unless there is a communication issue
> between Squid and your web server.

The timeout is because the Content-Length header is bigger than the
payload it sent.
Every http client/server will hang in that situation. This isn't
simply a misreported
HIT<->MISS in the log, this is absolutely a significant bug where
collapsed forwarding is
mixing up the metadata from the two branches of our Vary:
Accept-Encoding (gzip and not),
i.e. giving the headers and content as non-gzip, but the amount of
payload it reads from
the cache and sends is based on the gzip size. Disabling
collapsed_forwarding fixed it.

-neil