Re: [squid-users] Cannot get videos from msnbc that have # in URL - Found it!

From: Nicole <nmh_at_daemontech.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:48:18 -0700 (PST)

On 12-Nov-08 My Secret NSA Wiretap Overheard Amos Jeffries Saying :

>> Hello all
>>
>> I have started to receive complains from people trying to get video's
>> from
>> msnbc.com that use a # character in the URL.
>>
>> Such as:
>>
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27657223#27657223
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27652443#27652443
>>

>> The access log shows that it is removing the pound sign and everything
>> after.
>>
>> 7 TCP_MISS:DIRECT
>> 9.2.2.7 - - [11/Nov/2008:09:59:30 -0800] "GET
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27657223 HTTP/1.1" 200 477
>> TCP_MISS:DIRECT
>> 9.2.2.7 - - [11/Nov/2008:10:00:18 -0800] "GET
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27652443 HTTP/1.1" 200 477
>> TCP_MISS:DIRECT
>>

>> I cannot see in my config why it would be truncating out the pound
>> character.
>>
>> Any assistance greatly appreciated.
>
> The # symbol is part of the private URL format for certain objects such as
> HTML pages and has meaning only in the receiving browser software. Client
> software is expected to strip it before sending the request.
>
> Amos

 I found it!

 I have been obfuscating myself as using a squid cache for some time using the
code below. However this line - header_access Via deny all - blocks those URLS
from showing up.

#### Blocks info that says Hey I'm Squid
header_access Via deny all
header_access X-Forwarded-For deny all
header_access X-Cache deny all
####

Thus

#### Blocks info that says Hey I'm Squid
##header_access Via deny all
header_access X-Forwarded-For deny all
header_access X-Cache deny all
####

 Allows me to see the videos. How weird is that!
 I do not know what effect it will have on my obfuscation yet however.

 Any idea's on why their URLs (and as far as I know only their URLs) would break
with this?

  Thanks so much!

  Nicole

--
  -  nmh_at_daemontech.com  -  Powered by FreeBSD  -
 "The term "daemons" is a Judeo-Christian pejorative.
 Such processes will now be known as "spiritual guides"
  - Politicaly Correct UNIX Page