[squid-users] large memory squid

From: john Moylan <john_at_nuatech.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 07:37:21 +0000

Hi,

I am about to take ownership of a new 2CPU, 4 core server with 32GB of
RAM - I intend to add the server to my squid reverse proxy farm. My
site is approximately 300GB including archives and I think 32GB of
memory alone will suffice as cache for small, hot objects without
necessitating any additional disk cache.

Are there any potential bottlenecks if I set the disk cache to
something like 500MB and cache_mem to something like 22GB. I'm using
Centos 5's Squid 2.6.

I have a full set of monitoring scripts as per
http://www.squid-cache.org/~wessels/squid-rrd/ (thanks again) and of
course I will be able to benchmark this myself once I have the box -
but any tips in advance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John