Re: [squid-users] About squid ICAP implementation

From: Takashi Tochihara <tochi_at_iij.ad.jp>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 05:51:32 +0900 (JST)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Subject: Re: [squid-users] About squid ICAP implementation
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:11:19 +0100

> > > Allow: 204 is sent if it's known the whole message can be buffered
> > > within the buffer limits (SQUID_TCP_SO_RCVBUF). It's not relaed to
> > > previews.
> >
> > Why is there such a limitation (SQUID_TCP_SO_RCVBUF) ?
> > I hope that squid always send "Allow: 204" to icap servers as much
> > as possible...
>
> Because to send "Allow: 204" Squid must buffer the whole message. This
> buffering is done in memory. Imagine what would happen if the message is
> a dual layer DVD ISO image.. (6-8GB in size).

I think to send "Allow: 204" & Preview: , squid must buffer not the
whole message, but the whole *Previewed* message. (part of the message)

tcp (or server) keeps the message, I think.

e.g.
squid doest not read the message (from socket), tcp keeps the message
until his buffer becomes full, and when tcp buffer is full, tcp sends
window size = 0 packet and then the server keeps the message...

I think it is better to send Allow: 204 header, when squid sends
Preview: header. (of course Preview: values needs some limitation)

Do I have the wrong idea?

best regrads

-- Takashi Tochihara