Re: [squid-users] disable-internal-dns not working on 2.6.18

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 01:37:18 +1300

Joseph Jamieson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to set up a Squid reverse proxy server in order to direct different web addresses to different servers. The caching function is just an added bonus.
>
> As I understand it, I need to use --disable-internal-dns build option to do this, and put the various host names in /etc/hosts.

No. Just set /etc/hosts. Squid loads it as a fixed set of records always
preferred over remote lookups.

> This is an Ubuntu box and I've downloaded all of the packages necessary to build squid, and it does build correctly. I added the --disable-internal-dns option into debian/rules, built binary packages, and installed them.

Try "apt-get install squid". No building necessary.
Current Squid by default has all the necessary components to be a
reverse-proxy.

<snip dnsserver helper troubles>

> Any ideas? I'd love to get this up and running. Squid 2.6's reverse proxy looks like it's going to be a lot easier to manage than older versions.

It is, unfortunately you seem to have come across some of the docs for
obsolete Squid versions that ruined your experience so far.

In general Squid does not need to perform any DNS to act as a reverse-proxy.

Install the Ubuntu squid release and take a read of this page for the
configuration:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy
(particularly the part 'How Do I Set It Up')

NP: The demo config does not involve DNS. URL domain name in "dstdomain"
ACL and and IP on the "cache_peer <IP> 80 0 ..." lines make it work
without needing to check destination IP.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.2