Re: [squid-users] Squid vs httpd mod_cache

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:20:28 +0100

> I would like to know how good Squid's cache management (i.e. pruning) is. I
> get the impression that mod_cache in Apache 2.2 is not very mature - some of
> the cache management features don't even seem to be implemented yet. I
> assume that Squid is a much more mature product, and thus I'd hope that it
> has cache management pretty much down pat.
>
> How does Squid manage its disk cache? Does it consume a lot of disk io when
> doing it?

The workload you describe is not high by any means (at least for
squid). Squid deployed as a reverse proxy routinely handles 800
requests/second on any decent hardware (I think I've seen reports
floating around speaking of 2000).

> Has anybody else here migrated from using Apache's mod_cache to Squid, and
> if so do you have any insights?
>
> Lastly, if I do decide to use Squid, is the O'Reilly book from 2004 still
> relevant, or is it out of date now? I know there's a lot of stuff online,
> but I like to have a handy book reference, plus a well-written book often
> has a good intro to the tool. This book seems to get only 5-star reviews on
> Amazon. Is it still up to date?

It's mostly relevant. Some configuration parameters have changed, but
the basic principles still apply.
You can use that as a basic guide, and then refer to the wiki (
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ ) to drill into specific details.
For any doubts, just ask on the squid-users mailing-list.

--
    /kinkie