Re: [squid-users] tuning an overloaded server

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:28:55 +1300

B. Cook wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
> 8< -- snip -- >8
>

>> That said BSD family of systems get more out of diskd than aufs in
>> current Squid.
>>

>> --
>> Please be using
>> Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE5 or 3.0.STABLE10
>> Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.2
>
> Hello,
>
> Sorry to bother..
>
> so even in any FreeBSD (6.3, 7.0, etc..) diskd is still better than aufs?
>
> and if so,
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/DiskDaemon
>
> this page talks about 2.4
>
> and I can't seem to find an aufs page.. I can find coss, but coss has
> been removed from 3.0..
>
> so again, diskd should be what FreeBSD users use? As well as the kernel
> additions? Even on 6.3 and 7.0 machines amd64 and i386 alike?

Yes. We have some circumstantial info that leads to believe its probably
a bug in the way Squid uses AUFS and the underlying implementation
differences in FreeBSD and Linux. We have not yet had anyone investigate
deeply and correct the issue. So its still there in all Squid releases.

> Thanks in advance..
>
> (I would think a wiki page on an OS would be very useful.. common
> configs for linux 2.x and BSD, etc.. )
>
> Many people are not as versed in squid as the developers, and giving
> them guidelines to follow would probably make it easier for them to
> use.. imho.
>
> They don't understand coss vs aufs vs diskd vs ufs.. ;)

We are trying to get there :). It's hard for just a few people and
non-experts in many areas at that. So if anyone has good knowledge of
how AUFS works jump in with a feature page analysis.

What we have so far in the way of config help is explained at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringSquid#head-ad11ea76c4876a92aa1cf8fb395e7efd3e1993d5

Amos

--
Please be using