Re: [squid-users] outside squid link overload.

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:56:34 +0100

On 28.11.08 17:52, Alexey Kovrizhnykh wrote:

Please, configure your mailer to wrap lines below 80 characters per line.
(72 to 75 is usually good)

> We are mobile operator. I have many GPRS subscribers that are NATed by
> cisco to one public IP address prior to go to squid-2.5.STABLE6-3.4E.5.

That's pretty old, obsolete, unsupported version and it may have bugs that
may cause you troubles...

> The problem is that GRPS users start 2-3 downloads and Squid loads it very
> fast and put it to cache but user can load the objects from Squid only at
> 30-180kbit/s. So when I divert all GPRS users thru Squid, my internet link
> becomes stuck because Squid loads many files at all available bandwidth
> and then give it to customers at GPRS speed.

hmmm don't you provide 3G nor EDGE? They're much faster... ;-)

> Restriction by delay pool doesn't suit - users have different speeds (up
> to 230kbit/s), so if I restrict each to 230kbit/s - it won't help because
> 40kbit user will cause Squid to download at 230kbit/s.

Imho still better than unlimited speed I'd say...

> Question: How to make Squid not to download a new part of file unless the
> old part is already loaded by the user?

you probably want to configure quick_abort.