Re: [squid-users] Understanding Expect 100 default setting

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 01:45:33 +1300

Paul Cocker wrote:
> Once again, Henrik is the man:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/CONNECT-errors-with-2.7.STABLE2-2-td18261153.html
>
> What I'm looking for is a brief, technical explanation of why this
> setting defaults to off rather than on. I didn't really get from that
> thread why the defaults were the way they were, especially as the
> behaviour described with the Expect 100 wasn't in violation of spec,
> just unusual.
>
> We had a problem which was solved by this setting, and I want to be in a
> position to explain why things were setup in a way which caused this
> issues to occur.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Cocker

In his post about the option Henrik mentioned it:
"Very RFC-ignorant"

One of the aims of the quid developers is to have Squid being as RFC
compliant as possible as the first hurdle to interacting with other
software.

Routinely ignoring perfectly valid responses is not an ideal thing to
force on users. So the default is off.

BUT there are cases such as yours where it's required due to broken
server applications or squid lack of capability, which make it
necessary. So it's provided to help you keep operating until the issue
gets fixed.

If turning it on fixes something for you, you still need to find out
what is broken and see about fixing it. Because simply having it turned
on is a forced brokenness in the Squid behavior.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.2 or 3.0.STABLE11-RC1