Re: [squid-users] Netscape to Squid conversion Issues

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:53:35 +1300

Jan Welker wrote:
> Here's a situation we're facing and I'm curious if anyone has some
> insight into how we might approach this problem.
>
> We currently have approximately pcs, a very large portion of which
> are configured in one of two ways.
>
> A. Netscape browsers with manual proxy servers set up for http and
> https as proxy.host.net:8080
> B. Netscape browsers with automatic proxy configuration with URL setup
> as proxy.host.net:8080 (note they're the same).
>
> This setup runs fine when pointing to the netscape admin-server/proxy
> server configuration.
>
> The problem I'm having is when I point one of the "automatic"
> configured pcs to one of the boxes running SQUID. At startup, the user
> receives a message saying the automatic configuration has failed and
> on the squid server I see the following access.log entry.
>
> 10.49.0.145 - - [30/Apr/2001:16:28:40 -0400] "GET / HTTP/0.0" 400 1094 NONE:NONE

That is a transparently intercepted request. But your squid.conf does
not appear to include any "http_port ... transparent".

If you are going the PAC route you will need to remove the NAT capture
of these requests.

> From the docs, it's clear that I need to provide a proxy.pac file
> telling the users what their automatic configuration should be. The
> problem I'm having is how to provide this info and provide
> filtering/caching all from the same port?
>
> Having all the users change their configuration to point to another
> port or host isn't an attractive option (120+ sites, 6000 pcs likely
> to be touched). If I must do that, I'd much prefer to cut over to
> transparent proxying so we don't face this problem again in the future
> and it's trivial for the end users to reconfigure.

If you take the NAT transparent interception route you WILL face this
again when migrating away from IPv4. DNS based WPAD/PAC is expected to
keep going.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.3 or 3.0.STABLE11-RC1