Re: [squid-users] Sending mail through port 80

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:35:33 +1300

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> On 04.12.08 07:29, Mike Rambo wrote:
>>> I guess you could also use a no_cache directive on squid itself to
>>> prevent caching of traffic to your ISP but IMO the firewall rule is
>>> what I would probably prefer.
>> That wouldn't work because squid does not understand SMTP
>
> the spammers who abused open http proxies with lax security policy to
> send smtp via port 25 would beg to differ, but that's sort of a
> needlessly convoluted workaround. (and now in the past as a spam threat)

Spammers primarily abuse the connect method. And secondarily abuse the
siilarity between HTTP and SMTP by sending SMTP through port 80 with
partial HTTP headers to cause proxies to not reject it.

This is one reason why I thoroughly dislike the ISP who uses port 80 for
actual SMTP. They are encouraging such abusive behavior to be done
through all proxies everywhere.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.3 or 3.0.STABLE11-RC1