Re: [squid-users] Intercept Caching or Transparent Caching without traffic/port forwarding...

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:50:56 +1300

Alex Choo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> i was trying to setting up a Interception Caching or Transparent
> Caching with squid. i'm puzzled that we needs to redirect the traffic
> to Squid listening port from port 80.
>
> i've tried to configured Squid to listen on port 80 and the relevant
> config for transparent caching. But when i set my workstation default
> route to my Squid box, it'll failed. It's ok if i explicitly set the
> proxy in the browser.
>
> my question is, do we really need to some sort of traffic/port
> redirection for interception/transparent to work? i'm using Squid v
> 2.6

Yes. traffic passing through a router is handled differently at the
firewall/kernel level than traffic stopping at that same router.

Squid is a local app, but the traffic is only passing through. The
interception bit is what changes the traffic from passing-thru to
stopping-at.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/
has all the gory config details for squid and some OS.

Maybe this diagram will help understand what packets do in a system...
http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/PacketFlow.png

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.3 or 3.0.STABLE11-RC1