Re: [squid-users] Squid rpms for EL4

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 00:08:19 +0100

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 12:25 +0000, Vandaman wrote:

> I tried searching the archives but I didn't find an answer.
> Are there any rpms for EL4 (RHEL 4/CentOS 4) for
>
> - 2.7 STABLE5

Not at this time.

> - 2.6 STABLE22

Not sure about RHEL, but there is 2.6.STABLE22 RPM for Fedora 8 and
should be trivial to rebuild on RHEL/CENTOS if needed.

http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/SRPMS.newkey/squid-2.6.STABLE22-1.fc8.src.rpm

just do a rpmbuild --rebuild on that file to get a binary RPM for your
OS version. (you may need to install some additional development
packages first if you don't normally build programs from source)

> There is a squid-2.6.STABLE20 available from mnagy at people.redhat.com
> but not the aforementioned. 2.7.STABLE5 is the recommended version for
> users of the Squid-2 series.

Correct.

There has been talk about making an RPM for Squid-2.7, but it can't be
done as an official RedHat or Fedora RPM due to packaging policies with
only keeping one release of a package at a time, and as result there is
only official RedHat or Fedora RPMS for 2.6 and 3.0 at this time.

>From what I can tell only OpenSuSE has Squid-2.7 packaged as RPM, but
SuSE RPMs generally isn't compatible with RedHat/Fedora not even at
source level (srpm).

If you are interested then I can set up a repository for Squid-2.7 RPMs
for a small administrative charge. Contact me privately to arrange this.