Re: [squid-users] WCCP load balancing and TPROXY fully transparent interception

From: Bin Liu <binliu.lqbn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:50:22 +0800

> I'm interested to know if you have managed to get this working
> reliably for your ISP environment?

Not yet. We are still doing some test in our own environment.

> How far have you gone to make Squid truly transparent eg
> * suppressing the Squid headers, error messages etc.
> * Is there any way to configure Squid / Cisco to give SYN_ACK,
> "connection refused" and ICMP "host unreachable" responses rather than
> Squid error messages?
> * Can you force Squid to make its request from the same source port
> as the client.

You mean totally transparent and the clients don't even know the
existence of squid by any means? It seems a little bit difficult...

> * If someone uses port 80 for a protocol other than http, can Squid
> reject the redirected traffic in such a way that it is passed through
> directly instead?

WCCPv2 can support this feature by Packet Return Method. (See
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0t/12_0t3/feature/guide/wccp.html,
search "Web Cache Packet Return". Also mentioned in your url:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~squid3/squid/3.1/annotate/9363?file_id=draftwilsonwccpv212o-20070417152110-s6qkuxj8uabe-1)
But Henrik said squid hadn't implemented this feature yet. (See
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200811/0130.html)