Re: [squid-users] WCCP load balancing and TPROXY fully transparent interception

From: Regardt van de Vyver <squid_at_vdvyver.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 20:06:19 +0200

Richard Wall wrote:
>> WCCPv2 can support this feature by Packet Return Method. (See
>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0t/12_0t3/feature/guide/wccp.html,
>> search "Web Cache Packet Return". Also mentioned in your url:
>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~squid3/squid/3.1/annotate/9363?file_id=draftwilsonwccpv212o-20070417152110-s6qkuxj8uabe-1)
>> But Henrik said squid hadn't implemented this feature yet. (See
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200811/0130.html)
>>

> Thanks for the links.
>
> -RichardW.

The issue with the WCCP Packet return method is that you'll now need to
maintain state for each connection from the router as it will keep
sending packets related to the same http request to the cache even if
you reject the 1st packet correctly. This implies a full state engine in
your wccp return management since you need to still serve valid http
traffic while rejecting invalid port 80 traffic.

As I recall Adrian was indicating a proposed split of the WCCP code from
squid directly - if/when this happens I believe the implementation of
the WCCP2 return method will become a reality.

regards,

Regardt vd Vyver