Re: [squid-users] cached MS updates !

From: Philipp Rusch - New Vision IT <philipp.rusch_at_newvision-it.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 16:37:11 +0100

Richard Neville schrieb:
> Hi Phillip, the issue is: I run a computer repair business, the pcs
> that are comming in needed updates have various network
> configurations, as far as I'm aware, WSUS is good if you have existing
> set PC list that you configure to look at your server for updates, as
> I'm always getting different systems, I thought a fully transparent
> system would be best
>
> Thanks for the email!
>
> Happy christmas!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 21/12/2008, at 10:42 PM, Philipp Rusch - New Vision IT
> <philipp.rusch_at_newvision-it.de <mailto:philipp.rusch_at_newvision-it.de>>
> wrote:
>
>> Richard Neville schrieb:

>>> Hi, Just thought id let you know, I currently am using an IPCop Firewall,
>>> and one of the plugins (the reason i went with IPCOP) is an
>>> update accelerator plugin, that stores Windows, Apple, Symmantec, Avast and
>>> linux updates on the
>>> firewalls drive..
>>>
>>> I actually found this site because i was trying to get help, and the developer
>>> of the plugin seems cranky at the best of times.
>>>
>>> Basically the system works, updates that a PC doesnt have gets loaded from the
>>> firewall rather then the internet, but the updates themselves, it seems that MS
>>> use multiple servers to store each update, now when I update a SP2 XP pro
>>> system, it sees SP3, it downloaded a 850meg file, thats fine, it must be
>>> multilanguage versions that its downloading..
>>>
>>> the problem is that i update another SP2 system and it starts downloading the
>>>
>>> 850 megs again as its got the same file name, but comming from a different
>>> server.
>>>
>>> would anyone here know how to rectify this?
>>>
>>> im a 100% noob at linux but i have managed to get it up and running without too
>>> much issue.
>>>
>>> here's the plugin website for those interested.
>>>
>>> http://update-accelerator.advproxy.net/
>>>
>>> any help would be appreciated :)
>>> planetxdvd_at_gmail.com <mailto:planetxdvd_at_gmail.com>
>> Why don't use the way Hendrik already recommended ?
>> I'd use Microsoft WSUS, its free and easy to setup.
>> And it will manage all these issues you have automagically.
>>
>> HTH, Philipp
Richard, ok - I see and I understand your point of view.
But still, I would suggest something like the c't offline updater then:
http://www.heise.de/software/download/ct_offline_update/38170
(there is also an english version of this around ...)

This is far less complicated than Olegs solution and saves a lot of
bandwidth
while being perfetctly suited for your various systems needs.
You just start the script and it does the rest from a local cache.

Happy christmas to you , too!

HTH, Philipp from Germany