Re: [squid-users] How important is harddisk performance?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:45:38 +0100

On 23.12.08 10:44, rihad wrote:
> I'm planning to build a new dedicated Squid-box, with amd64 and 4 gigs
> of RAM, with two cache_dir's on two separate harddisks and Squid-3 doing
> application level striping, all servicing around 6k users. Will two
> recent IDE disks of 7200 rpm suffice, or I'm better off getting two
> 15000 rpm SCSI disks on a dedicated controller board? Just not sure if
> performance gains would be noticeable by an average user, given enough
> ram. I read this too: http://wiki.squid-cache.org/BestOsForSquid
> Just double checking.

What is the expected load? The information "6k users" is not telling much -
6k users may issue 12k reqests per second, and also 600 requests per second
(or even less). If you expect all of them intensively browse the web, buy
two fast disks, and that may be not enough.

If you don't know what can you expect and can afford that, buy those 15krpm
disks and you'll see if you'll need another one. You may also need more RAM
quickly... (a few for squid, much for caching)

It's now safe to throw off your computer.