Re: [squid-users] How important is harddisk performance?

From: rihad <rihad_at_mail.ru>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:41:50 +0400

Ken Peng wrote:

>> Hi there.
>>
>> I'm planning to build a new dedicated Squid-box, with amd64 and 4 gigs
>> of RAM, with two cache_dir's on two separate harddisks and Squid-3
> doing
>> application level striping, all servicing around 6k users. Will two
>> recent IDE disks of 7200 rpm suffice, or I'm better off getting two
>> 15000 rpm SCSI disks on a dedicated controller board?
>
> 15000 rpm SCSI is surely much better than 7200 rpm IDE's.

I couldn't argue with that! Here's what I think: as fetching a cached
copy of some HTTP resource from a 7200 RPM IDE disk is _much_ faster
than doing it over, say, a 10-Gig network link, passing the traffic
through Squid is going to feel faster for an end user, but never slower.
Will 7200 rpm -> 15000 increase in rpm be _that_ important given enough
RAM exists to cache most frequently accessed disk blocks (4 gigs for ~6k
simultaneous surfers)? I doubt that.