Re: [squid-users] Handling websites that switch between http & https

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:03:33 -0900

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> You've just reminded me of the hotmail problems...
>>
>> Joseph:
>> see if it disappears when you turn "balance_on_multiple_ip off". It
>> still defaults to on in most Squid installs.
>>

> Amos,
> I am on holidays w/o access to this system atm, but wouldn't this only
> matter if their was more than one public IP on the squid server?

Nope. hotmail, gmail and yahoo all have multiple IPs that THEY listen
on. Squid will send individual HTTP requests round-robin between the
IPs (since HTTP is stateless, this should work fine). Most browsers, on
the other hand pick an IP and communicate with it until there is a
problem. Many applications (such as Hotmail) expect the browser
behavior, and don't work (or at least don't work well) with an HTTP
"session" that hops from one advertised IP to another.

> This
> server is multihomed w/ one internal and one external nic w/ only 1
> public IP.
>
> I could walk someone onsite through this change if it still would make a
> difference.

It's likely to.

> Thanks everyone!
> jlc