Re: [squid-users] load balancing

From: Regardt van de Vyver <squid_at_vdvyver.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 10:37:11 +0200

Hi Remy,

Just a couple of comments.

1) As per your response, if DNS is down squid is not going to be much
happier as it needs that DNS resolution in order to be able to function ;-)
2) WCCP would/could work very nicely for you in a fully transparent
configuration. Cost of wccp capable routers plays a role
3) A true load balancer front end like Cisco's content director could
also do the job but also runs into cost issues.

Methods I've used:
1) Running squid in an LVS (linux virtual server) environment - works
but can get fun to configure

2) Add another squid box to the configuration.
    - Setup this squid so that 10.200.1.2 and 10.200.1.1 are parent
caches with CARP enabled
    - Do not enable any disk storage on this front-end cache

This gives you an environment where the parent caches will determine
load between them and handle requests as needed.

Setting dead_peer_timeout and peer_connect_timeout will also allow
relatively quick responses to caches that die.

I know this last option is not fully redundant but is a cost effective
way of handling the load balancing issue cleanly.

Regardt