Re: [squid-users] NTLM and transparent/interception confusion

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:17:55 +1300

Johnson, S wrote:
> Keep in mind, group policies cannot always be used as in our
> environment.
>
> We are a K-12 education and are mandated by federal law to monitor and
> protect student access to the internet.
>
> We are now allowing students to bring their own notebooks in on a trial
> basis (to be permanent after this summer when we work out the bugs) to
> do research on their own computers.
>
> We have to monitor their access to the internet and deny "bad" sites,
> again mandated by federal law. So their authentication mechanism is
> AD/LDAP to their user ID set up for them to access network resources on
> the network.
>
> Since their computers are not on our domain (nor do we want them to be),
> we cannot push group policies down to their computer.

In that case your best bet would be to lock down general port-80 access
to them entirely. Using WPAD 'auto-detect' or with students setting
browsers set manually.
That will go a long way toward blocking risky behavior by malware on
mobile devices.

Second best after that would be to setup some helper where they can
authenticate against some other system and the helper permits their
requests past Squid for a time. This provides almost no protection from
malware once the student is browsing a legit session.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.3