Re: [squid-users] Tuning in compilation

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 23:45:00 +1300

Rafael Gomes wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I am making a document with better options for a good one Squid
> compilation, with better option to improve perfomance. So I searched
> in many websites and found following options.
>
> Can you please tell me if there is more good options?
>
> The enviroment is a server for more than 200 people, with HD SCSI
> 10000 RPM of 20GB, P4 3.0 Ghz 2GB of RAM Memory.
> Squid 2.6 STABLE13 with CentOS 5.2 with kernel 2.6.28

This lot are all just locations. Very OS-specific. And sometimes
install-specific within an OS.

> ./configure --prefix=/usr \
> --mandir=/usr/share/man \
> --infodir=/usr/share/info \
> --localstatedir=/var/lib \
> --sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
> --libexecdir=/usr/libexec/squid \
> --datadir=/usr/share/squid \

Enabling any of these that are not used will have negative impact
(through wasted RAM resources) on performance-critical Squid.

> --enable-auth=basic,digest,ntlm \
> --enable-removal-policies=lru,heap \
> --enable-storeio=ufs,diskd,coss,aufs,null \

This one is good if any slow network access is involved (satellite or
'jumbo' links).
Not so much otherwise. It merely optimizes the fetching of data into
Squid, not slow client connections.

> --enable-icmp \

... same for disk speeds, but very OS-specific.

> --enable-epoll \

A mostly useless type of auth. very situation-specific.
> --disable-ident-lookups \

A waste of resources doing any of these in performance-critical situations.

> --enable-useragent-log \
> --enable-referer-log \
> --enable-arp-acl \

This lot maybe useful, but if unused are definitely a waste of
resources. Situation specific.

> --enable-follow-x-forwarded-for \
> --enable-delay-pools \
> --enable-htcp \
> --enable-carp \
> --enable-linux-netfilter \
> --enable-cache-digests \

These are much of a sameness, with little bearing on performance.

> --with-large-files \
> --enable-snmp \
> --enable-ssl \
> --enable-async-io=32 \
> --disable-poll \
> --with-maxfd=16384

This one is seriously BAD to do when performance is even slightly important.

> --disable-internal-dns \

Then you get the whole configuration arguments.... but I'll leave that
for now.

Amos

--
Please be using