Re: [squid-users] Caching pages for users without a cookie (guest)

From: Elli Albek <elli_at_sustainlane.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 04:45:12 -0800 (PST)

The thing is that squid should cache for some users and not for other users.

Lets say we have two users, me (logged in) and guest (not logged in).

Both ask for the same page with this sequence:
1. guest
2. me
3. guest

Then we want:
1. guest: get page from origin and cache the response (cache miss).
2. me: get page from origin again, do not cache the response (cache bypassed).
3. guest: get page from cache, do not go to origin server (cache hit).

Response 1 has Expires and max-age headers, but squid should NOT honor them in request 2 and should honor them in request 3. This decision is based on the cookie. So the cookie acl will override the expected HTTP based behaviour.

I think a regular expression on the cookie can determine if squid should go to the origin server (regardless of what is in the cache) or act as normal (cache based on HTTP headers). This is done per request. The response headers can be used only in request 3, but they should be ignored in request 2.

Thanks

Elli