RE: [squid-users] OWA accelerator authentication weirdness

From: Alan Lehman <alehman_at_gbateam.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:44:17 -0600

> > That's terrific that it works, but I'm not sure I understand why.
> Does "connection-auth=off" disable pass-through of NTLM? My
> understanding of the Activesync devices is that they require NTLM.
> >

> Yes it disables pass-thru for NTLM.
>
> Which for you blocks that first NTLM challenge (direct from the OWA?),
> and leaves the second (from your Squid auth_* setup?) to go through.
>
> Amos

But I have all of my auth_* commented out.

Before adding "connection-auth=off" to my https_port config, Firefox would give me two authentication prompts. First: "Enter user name and password for ...", which would not work. Then only after I hit CANCEL, I would get "A user name and password are being requested by ...", which does work.

With "connection-auth=off" or with "Windows integrated authentication" disabled on the OWA server, Firefox would give me only the 2nd dialog, and it works. But Activesync devices don't work "Windows integrated" disabled.

With "Basic authentication" and "Windows integrated authentication" enabled on the OWA server and "connection-auth=off", everything works like it should.

It's so confusing.

Alan

Please note our new email and website address!
Alan Lehman, PE
Associate
 mailto:alehman_at_gbateam.com
creating remarkable solutions
for a higher quality of life
http://www.gbateam.com
9801 Renner Boulevard
Lenexa, KS 66219-9745
913.577.8829 direct
816.210.8785 mobile
913.577.8264 fax

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message including attachments, if any, is intended for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you