Re: [squid-users] Problems forcing mandatory proxy use.

From: Richard Chapman <rchapman_at_aardvark.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:12:25 +0900

Amos Jeffries wrote:

> Squid itself won't. But the box underneath it will have firewall and
> routing control you can use (assuming its a non-windows box).
>
> Amos

Hi Amos

I can see this is true where the squid box is also the internet router -
but is it also true if the squid box is not the internet router - and is
not dual homed? Currently the squid box has only one network connection
- and the router function is handled by the netgear box. How much do I
need to change to eliminate NAT altogether - and go to a mandatory proxy
solution?

If it can be done without making the squid box dual homed - presumably I
need to tell the clients (via dhcp) the squid box is the default router
for the network - so they direct all proxy and non proxy traffic through
it. Presumably it would need some fancy routing to then forward internet
traffic correctly.

If the linux box cant do the job without a second network interface -
the other option would be to get a more functional internet router box.
I am gradually forming the view that it is easier to maintain networks
with lots of purpose built single function boxes - than single
multifunction boxes which do everything - but then break everything when
they need upgrades or otherwise fail... Of course this is only my
opinion...:-)

Many thanks for your advice.

Richard.