RE: [squid-users] Caching pages for users without a cookie (guest)

From: Elli Albek <elli_at_sustainlane.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:00:18 -0800

You mean adding Set-Cookie to the vary header? Something like:

Vary: Accept-Encoding Set-Cookie

The reason is that since all the cookies are lumped into one request header,
you have there analytics tracking cookies which are different for every
browser client. So the cache key is going to be unique per client since the
request cookies are unique per client. This is in addition to a few of our
cookies that can create thousands of combinations.

Good point about other proxies between squid and the client. I did not think
about it. Maybe its best if squid does not pass on the validators to the
client, so the next proxies just pass through. So the validators in that
case are just for app server to squid communications.