Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy URL rewriter/hostname scrubber

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:05:21 +1300 (NZDT)

> All,
>

> I am looking for a squid based solution for a problem I have. I
> have a squid reverse proxy sitting in front of three web servers, set up
> so I can test and QA each server by itself without a problem, and yet
> still server to the www site as if they were one. While this works fine
> inside my security boundary, it really breaks outside due to http being
> blocked to the servers themselves.
>

> The idea with the proxy is to go internet --> squid --> http farm
> and the problem that comes about is that occasionally the servers will
> response with hostname.tld instead of www.tld like they are supposed to.
> Since I have it set up to be desirable both ways for my set up, this is
> ok inside. I need to get my squid to grab those requests and re-write
> them as they are served to the client. This is especially troublesome
> for embedded generated code (JavaScript links, and silly stuff like
> that). I have basic idea's on how to do this, but I haven't found either
> a good step by step telling how to do this, or a good redirect client
> that can handle something like this.
>

> Any suggestions would help out a lot
>

> Thanks,
> Seann

Squid really can't do this properly for replies.

You need to find out why the servers are breaking their configuration. It
may come down to replacing their software, but using broken apps is not a
good idea.

Assuming you are using the correct reverse-proxy configuration with no
re-writes anywhere:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy

Amos