Re: [squid-users] cache_mem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:26:25 +1300

Paul Cocker wrote:
> Simple one I hope
>
> Once you have squid up and running and know its memory use and overall
> system memory use, should cache_mem be set as a percentage of the free
> memory available, or should you be leaving a large amount of memory for
> the use of the OS file cache and keeping squid' cache_mem at a smaller
> value like 64MB?
>
> Paul Cocker

Thats a choice up to you. I generally have not found the OS itself to
need a lot more than it grabs initially. Yours may differ.

cache_mem is ONLY the RAM cached files. Squid will use other memory when
under load, so that will need to be accommodated along with any other
apps you run on the same machine.

My general point of attack is to start with a small % of RAM for
cache_mem and a check back later to see if it can be raised or needs
dropping.

Amos

--
Please be using