[squid-users] squid as anonymous proxy server

From: J. Bakshi <joydeep_at_infoservices.in>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:31:10 +0530

Dear list,

If I transfer money to wirecard bank outside Germany it says
" Please note that Wirecard is currently not offered in your country."

But I have no problem to do the same when I'm in Germany.

Hence I have installed squid version-3 in a dedicated server located in
Germany. I have configured it to work as an anonymous server with
nsca_auth. Configured firefox to use that proxy and it shows the German
IP. Even I can do my transaction with wirecard.

What still is knocking me is the resource required to run the squid.
That proxy is only required to work as an anonymous so that I can get
the German IP whenever required. IS there any way to cut down the other
features of a standard proxy from squid , so that it will be only an
anonymous proxy ?

The authentication is based on nsca_auth and the access is based on
http. Is in not a security risk ? I mean the userid/password flows as
plain text. HOw can I encrypt it with SSL ?

Kindly enlighten me.
Thanks
~~