Re: [squid-users] squid as anonymous proxy server

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:05:18 -0900

J. Bakshi wrote:
> Chris Robertson wrote:
>
>> J. Bakshi wrote:
>>
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> If I transfer money to wirecard bank outside Germany it says
>>> " Please note that Wirecard is currently not offered in your country."
>>>
>>> But I have no problem to do the same when I'm in Germany.
>>>
>>> Hence I have installed squid version-3 in a dedicated server located in
>>> Germany. I have configured it to work as an anonymous server with
>>> nsca_auth. Configured firefox to use that proxy and it shows the German
>>> IP. Even I can do my transaction with wirecard.
>>>
>>> What still is knocking me is the resource required to run the squid.
>>> That proxy is only required to work as an anonymous so that I can get
>>> the German IP whenever required. IS there any way to cut down the other
>>> features of a standard proxy from squid , so that it will be only an
>>> anonymous proxy ?
>>>

>> What features are you looking to cut? Why do you feel that Squid is
>> using a lot of resources?
>>

> As I'm only using it as anonymous, I like to disable the other features
> like caching etc... etc.....

Caching is disabled either by compiling with "--enable-storeio=null" and
specifying "cache_dir null /some/path" in your configuration file, or
more simply by using "cache deny all".

> Regarding authentication I mean to provide the userid/password in
> encrypted form, that's why I'm asking for SSL. Does digest auth do the
> same ? please suggest me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digest_authentication

Chris