Re: [squid-users] weird traffic coming from my squid box to clients on port 3128

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:31:17 +1300

Bostonian wrote:
> I am a newbie here. Does "doing interception on inbound connections"
> mean that my squid box intercepts the client's request and returns the
> traffic from port 3128? Is this the normal way through which squid
> returns the request to its clients?

Um, I'm not sure abut the 'from port 3128' bit. Squid by default uses
random outbound ports. Only using 3128 for inbound requests.
So you will see a.b.c.d:e->squid.ip:3128 for each user currently using
the cache.

Interception is done by firewalls using NAT before their other rules are
calculated (thus a port-80 inbound deny will not work if inbound port-80
is already NAT'd to port-3128.
Squid sees it as slightly abnormal web traffic arriving on it's
'transparent' port (in your case 3128) so things look the same to most
traffic viewing tools.

Amos

--
Please be using