Re: [squid-users] WWW-Authenticate header field

From: bijayant kumar <bijayant4u_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 21:46:27 -0800 (PST)

I can give only the squid configuration details, because the webserver which is being accessed is not under our control. When we are accessing that webserver without the squid its opening fine, but from squid I am getting the error. Here is the configuration details

SQUID 2.6.STABLE13 :-

http_port 3128 transparent
hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
cache deny QUERY
acl apache rep_header Server ^Apache
broken_vary_encoding allow apache
maximum_object_size 40960 KB
cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid 2000 16 256
access_log /var/log/squid/access.log squid
url_rewrite_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidGuard/squidGuard.conf
url_rewrite_children 40
refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl SSL_ports port 443
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
acl Safe_ports port 901 # SWAT
acl purge method PURGE
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
follow_x_forwarded_for allow localhost
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
http_access allow purge localhost
http_access deny purge
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
-- some acls are defined according to network --
http_access deny all
http_reply_access allow all
icp_access allow all
visible_hostname xxxxx.proxy.blr
forwarded_for off
coredump_dir /var/cache/squid
ie_refresh on

Rest all are default values. When web server is being accessed through squid, it prompts the username & password(webserver), and after giving the right credentials it gives me the error specified. But without the squid ie going directly to webserver all things are fine means it accepts the username and password. AFAIK, squid configuration is fine because when any webserver with htaccess authentication is being accessed by squid, it opens fine. But not this server.

Bijayant Kumar